The field of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence is here to stay. And for those who doubt this statement, a simply analysis of the great strides made by individuals and enterprises to take robotics mainstream in the last decade would definitely convince you. Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry, Kids or Adults can now participate in the robotics trend by simply purchasing a Kit and consulting its user manual or YouTube to design a sophisticated robot for his or her personal use. What can be more mainstream than this?
As for beginners as well as enthusiasts of the field of robotics, outlined below are multiple kits designed to help you either learn the basics of robotics and its side kick—artificial intelligence—or allow you take your passions to the next level through building your personal robot.
Robot kits for adults
Introducing this kit without first discussing about what Makeblock and Arduino brings to the table in making it the versatile robotics starter pack it is. Makeblock is an open-source robotics platform which places its focus on building the mechanical and electronic components used in building a robot’s hardware. And to get this hardware to function, Makeblock develops its codes and software ecosystem using the Arduino processing platform which makes this strategic partnership pop.
The Makeblock Ultimate Arduino Robot Kit Aluminum is a comprehensive robot kit designed to allow its users experiment with building and programming robots as a hobby. Its features include:
- Multiple Building Forms: users can take advantage of the multiple building forms that can be developed using the tools—electronics, pincers etc.—provided in the Ultimate’s tool box.
- Graphical Programming: Makeblock works with mblock—a graphical programming environment—which makes it easy to use interactive applications as well as learn the basics of programming. The graphical programming feature makes it possible to see the effects of your programming efforts in real time.
- Wireless Control: one of the cool parts of robotics is its ability to integrate wireless control to the robots you design and Ultimate supports the use of wireless via its Makeblock application. The wireless network makes use of Bluetooth to connect your device—iPhone, iPad, Android device—via the app to your robot.
- Customized Design: the mechanical parts of the Ultimate are compatible with LEGO components while its electronic parts work perfectly with Arduino open-source system which makes t possible to customize your robot designs.
The ‘starter robot kit’ is another solid offering from the stables of Makeblock designed to introduce the field of robotics to students and individuals interested in the exciting field of robotics.
The kit comes well equipped with all the necessary electronic and mechanical components required to immediately get you started on building your own personal robot from scratch.
Its compatibility with LEGO components and Arduino programming is also a great incentive to experiment with building and programming. The features of the Starter Robot and its kit include:
- Heavy-duty Mechanical Parts: the starter robot kit comes equipped with the necessary components needed to build a heavy duty tank as well as a three-wheeler robotic car. The building components associated with them provides users the chance to learn about mechanical components as well as the technical details involved in putting them together to build the complete automobile.
- Easy and Powerful mblock: the starter robot kit is fully compatible with mblock’s graphical programming environment which is based on Scratch 2.0 open-source code. This feature makes interactive programming possible and simplifies the steps associated with learning how to program a robots movement and the degree of freedom of its components.
- Integrated Arduino Ecosystem: the starter robot kit works perfectly with Arduino micro-processors which power its electronic components adequately. The kit serves as an introduction to programing physical components using a micro-processor thereby making it a remarkable teaching tool.
- Easy Wiring: the starter robot kit eliminates the need for complex wiring procedures and the use of soldering irons or any other wiring machines to install its wirings. The wiring procedure of the starter robot is simply done by connecting all its modules together in a quick and efficient way.
- IR Controlled: the starter robot kit comes with an Infrared receiver sensor and its corresponding remote controller which makes controlling your robot a piece of cake.
WowWe’s latest offering to the world of robotics—the MiP Robot— is an innovative domestic robot built to provide every one with a unique subject to better study and understand the feed of robotics.
The MiP should be viewed as not just a toy but as a technical helper designed to help you do certain chores as well as keep you and your kids entertained. It also comes equipped with several game modes making it a stand-alone entertainment hub. Here are some of its features:
- A Unique Build: the MiP robot is aesthetically built with a glossy finish designed to attract the eyes while its human like features—an eye band, two working limbs and dual wheels serving as legs—provide it with the versatility needed to carry out preset tasks. And as ‘The Force Awakens’, the MiP can be viewed as your own personal R2-D2.
- The MiP App: the MiP app serves as a portal to all things related to you’re the robot’s user interface, software and applications as well as a wireless Bluetooth-controller for the MiP. With the app, users can update programs and keep tabs on the WowWe environment for future updates.
- Usability Features: the MiP is a unique robot due to the fact that it responds to hand signals as well as has the ability to carry its own weight thereby earning the ‘domestic helper’ tag. Its ability to respond to hand signals coupled with its wireless controlled movement makes it a unique platform for gaming and navigation.
- Sound Detection: to top it all, the MiP is built with its own sound detecting system which gives it the ability to detect and rest to sounds in its environment.
For those in search of a personal robot, the Meccano MeccaNoid G15 should be considered as one of the best options in today’s robotics market.
The MeccaNoid comes as a robotic kit well equipped with different components designed to allow a user build multiple objects including the traditional four limbed humanoid robot Meccano is known for.
Its support for certain programming languages also makes it a suitable platform for learning robotics, artificial intelligence and programming for both beginners and experts in any of these listed fields. The features of the MeccaNoid G15 includes:
- Multiple Building Forms: the Meccano MeccaNoid G15 is equipped with diverse building components which allow its user build different robotic forms such as the popular MeccaNoid, a dinosaur or a dog. Also note that the kit is equipped with the wiring, electronic and mechanical parts to design basically any shape.
- Hardware: the MeccaNoid is equipped with 4 smart servos in both arms built to remember set moves, 2 motors to drive its feet and LED eyes with the ability to change their color multiple times.
- Innovative Programming: it can be programmed using 3 alternative languages—Learned Intelligent Movement (LIM), Ragdoll Avatar and Motion Capture. MeccaNoid also comes pre-programmed with approximately 1000 words in its vocabulary, dancing, exercising and martial art abilities.
- Sound Recognition: MeccaNoid is also equipped with the ability to understand and respond to approximately 30 commands.
- Wireless control: Bluetooth enabled smart devices have the ability to control the MeccaNoid via Meccano’s app which can be freely downloaded on any iOS and Android device.
The OWI Robotic Arm Edge is an arm designed to introduce the average person t the world of robot technology via its simplistic assembling process and user interface.
As the name suggests, this item is simply an arm designed for the pickup and movement of objects according to the users’ discretion. The features of the robotic arm includes:
- Simplistic Build and Aesthetics: the OWI Robotic Arm Edge kit comes equipped with the components necessary to build a robotic arm spotting 5 motors and 5 joints, each with their respective degrees of freedom.
- Versatile Arm and Gripper: the arm is built to have; a wrist motion of 120 degrees, an elbow range of 300 degrees, a base motion and rotation of 180 and 270 degrees while its gripper can be controlled to open and close when gripping items.
- Wired Controller and Built in Searchlight: the OWI Robotic Arm Edge comes equipped with a 5S controller for moving the entire robotic arm as well as to control the actions of the gripper. The in-built search light on the other hand provides a measure of light when trying to operate the robotic arm in the dark.
Robotics has come to stay and the above listed kits were chosen to provide both adults and kids with a first glimpse into the world of robotic technology. A majority of these kits can also be tweaked to accomplish more degrees of freedom, better shapes, designs and functions. So do not hesitate to play around with them in other to achieve more.