I usually put my laundry outside on the balcony and I built this Arduino rainfall detector to let me know when rain starts.
A nice project for beginners, Let’s see how you can built a simple rain detector using the rain sensor and a buzzer. The detector will start a beep to let you know the rain has started.
Arduino rainfall detector
Here is the list of the part needed for this project:
The rain sensor is just a PCB board with opens traces when a drop of water close the circuit on the board, a special circuitry gives a LOW signal to the digital output pin. It has an analog output pin as well which you can use to read analog values from the sensor.
With the potentiometer on board, you can control the threshold for digital outputs. A red LED signals that rain is detected, you can see it by touching the sensor with a hand (sometimes you have to squeeze it a little to see the light, because the skin resistance is quite big).
Here is the schematic. Note that it does not matter how you connect the the rain sensor driver (this blue PCB with a potentiometer) to the sensing board (the black one with silver traces).
The connected project looks somewhat like the picture below.
Now, we can upload a code. A short and simple code.
I will suggest you play with the code, try changing the time delay, add some melody instead of beeps or try to add an LED instead of a buzzer.
To make it useful, you should put the sensing board outside the window and leave other parts inside the house to protect them from the rain.
Whenever there will be a rain, you will be notified by the buzzer.
You might also like:
- Arduino hx711 tutorial
- Arduino magnetic switch
- Best Arduino Kits
- gifts for engineering students
- gifts for engineers
- Current sensor Arduino
- Soil Moisture Sensor With Arduino
- Arduino Count up Timer Using the Nokia 5110 LCD
- Arduino RFID Project for Beginners
- Arduino MOSFET Project
- Which Arduino Should You Buy
- What Can You Do With Arduino Boards?
- Arduino IDE Alternatives
- Arduino Mega vs. Uno
- Read Arduino Rotary Encoders
- A Selection of the Best Arduino Simulators
- Arduino Projects: IR Receiver
- Arduino Light Sensor Project
- Arduino Projects: Arduino Decibel Meter
- Arduino Projects: Clap ON Clap OFF Light
- Arduino Relay Project
- How to install Arduino Library
- Arduino Projects: RGB LED Arduino
- Arduino Stepper Motor Project
- Arduino Projects: Arduino DC Motor Control
- Arduino 3D Printed Case
- Arduino Projects: Servo Potentiometer Control
- Arduino Projects: PIR Motion Sensor
- Arduino and Raspberry Pi Differences
- Top 9 Books Every Engineer Should Read
- Top Used Sensors for Arduino
- First Hand on the Arduino Uno Board